Sunday, December 7, 2008

Peeling an Orange by Virginia Hamilton Adair

At first, I thought that the situation of this poem would be sad, as "through my tears" does not imply a happy poem. I soon realized that it was not saddness, but of laughter those tears originated from. I immideiately felt better that I picked out a happier poem to read, as Daystar wasn't that uplifting. The setting was not so clear in the poem, but then again i did not think it mattered since the couple was having so much fun together, I was really just focusing on them. It is interesting to see how Adair used so much description for one orange, "disks of gold" that relates to the "golden words" at the end. Just talking about oranges is unique, as it is a word that has no ryme, and in being unrymeable it needs other ways of being used in poetic instances. It is as if hte orange itself was the setting for the poem, and the people were its characters and bring out the tone.

No comments: